New Year’s Resolution Help from Your Libraries
by Paula Kelting, CCPL Reference Librarian
I wish everyone a Happy New Year! If you have decided on a resolution but are one of many of us on a tight budget, then please remember to keep Campbell County Public Library and Wright Branch Library in mind. Your local libraries have resources for all different kinds of resolution needs:
• Browse our wellness and exercise books and DVDs if you want to move more and don’t know where to start.
• Your libraries have a great collection of cookbooks if you’re looking to change up meals for the new year.
• Learn to play different kinds of instruments! We’ve have a nice selection of piano and guitar books. Don’t have a piano? You can reserve CCPL’s Wyoming Room and practice on our grand piano!
• Maybe you want to learn a new language? We have a great collection of books and databases. We even have a database called Signing Savvy to help you learn American Sign Language. Find it on our website under the Research tab. Click Databases and then type Signing Savvy in the search box.
• Feeling crafty? We have a multitude of resources to get you creating no matter what your passion is. CCPL has two Cricut machines available for public use—one in our Makerspace patrons can use at the library, and one that checks out for home use. Your library card gives you access to a fantastic crafting database called CreativeBug. You have unlimited access to thousands of online art and craft classes. Locate this database under the Research tab, too.
• Looking to organize your life a bit better? Peruse our collection of home organization books. Some bullet journaling can help with that!
• Want to start a podcast or YouTube channel? CCPL’s Makerspace houses our Video Lab and Sound Lab. Our Wyoming Library to Business Video Lab is made possible thanks to grants from the Wyoming Community Foundation, Libraries Build Business, and The Library Foundation Inc. These labs provide, free of charge, patrons and small business owners professional-quality tools to create professional videos and audio recordings. Call the Reference Desk at 687.0115 to reserve a time slot.
• A fantastic resolution your library can’t forget to recommend: more reading, whether you’re looking for physical or digital books! And...there’s a brand new look to our library catalog with our recent update to Aspen Discovery for WYLDcat. Aspen makes searching for books and resources easier, pulling all library resources together in one search. Patrons can create and share lists of materials and online content or peruse curated lists created by local library staff. Readers can easily find a title in every format available, read book reviews, and even rate items and see how others rated them. If a book or other item is unavailable, a “While you wait” feature offers suggestions for similar titles. These are examples of the many features in Aspen.
Stop by your libraries in Gillette and Wright where you’ll find friendly librarians who will help you find whatever you’re looking for. We pride ourselves on developing a well-rounded collection that has something for everyone. In the words of S.R. Ranganathan, a librarian and mathematician from India who developed the Five Laws of Library Science: “Every reader his or her book. Every book its reader.”